WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
A man in his 80s has been killed in a road traffic accident in Co. Kildare. The man was riding a bicycle when he was struck by a car on the Dublin Road at Clane on Sunday afternoon. The driver of the car, reportedly in his twenties, attended Naas Garda Station for questioning but left the station on Sunday night without any charges being laid. A post-mortem is expected to be carried out on ...
Taoiseach Enda Kenny has spent the weekend in Boston, Massachusetts furthering the strength of U.S. -Ireland relations. The head of Ireland's government attended a function on Saturday at the JFK Library to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of President Kennedy's 1963 visit to Ireland At the ceremony Kenny addressed an audience of U.S. lawmakers and representatives of the business ...
Irish all-rounder Kevin O'Brien, whose team will face Pakistan in the upcoming two ODI series at home, has said that Saeed Ajmal is a "tricky customer" as well as "one of the best spinners in the world", but have admitted that they have no specific plans on how to tackle Ajmal in the upcoming matches. The 29 year-old, who was also part of the side that knocked Pakistan out of the 2007 World Cup ...
The international best-selling writer Dan Brown has hinted he may set a new novel in Ireland. The author of The Da Vinci Code was in the capital last night as part of the Dublin Writers Festival. It was his first time to visit Ireland. Last night, he addressed an audience at the National Concert Hall, which was not a sell-out. He told the crowd that his interest in science and religion ...
15°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the NW at 15 MPH
Richard Jenkins is a consummate character actor who has appeared in supporting roles in dozens of studio-produced and independent films. Comedies, dramas, action movies--if you have spent any appreciable amount of time watching movies, chances are youve seen him numerous times. He is one of ... ...
Kevin O'Brien , the Ireland allrounder, has said the upcoming ODIs against Pakistan are a welcome chance for his team to match skills with a Full Member side. Ireland, who last played a top team during the 2012 World T20, are set to play Pakistan in two one-dayers in Dublin on May 23 and 26. "It'll be a great chance for me personally and for the team to show what we can do ...
John O'Dowd has announced that schools would not be compelled to complete the evaluations next autumn but could do so voluntarily using software from a range of providers. Last autumn a number of schools reported difficulties in using the programmes, with some teachers feeling under pressure and pupils distressed, the minister told the Assembly. "In moving forward I am determined to ...
Despite the continuing row surrounding his disclosure of confidential Garda information neither of the two rules seem to apply to him. The controversy is five days old and running. Furthermore, Shatter spend an excruciatingly long 16 minutes yesterday making a "few comments" of explanation. And still the Minister's self-confidence that he is right and everybody else is wrong ...
John Dundon is seeking more time to prefer his defence in the case where he is charged with the murder of Limerick rugby player Shane ...
The Trailfinders Australian Garden has won the gold medal and Best in Show at the Chelsea Flower Show 2013 at Royal Hospital Chelsea in London today. Photograph: Tim P. Whitby/Getty ...
They Said It
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas
Coming off Highway 45, about an hour's drive and 50 miles south of Houston, and as we approached Galveston my ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Dublin NewsDublin News | Breaking News from Dublin and Ireland
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Dublin news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Dublin Sun is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Dublin.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Dublin weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Dublin Sun is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Irish all-rounder Kevin O'Brien, whose team will face Pakistan in the upcoming two ODI series at home, has said that Saeed Ajmal is a "tricky customer" as well as "one of the best spinners in the world", but have admitted that they have no specific plans on how to tackle Ajmal in the upcoming matches.
The 29 year-old, who was also part of the side that knocked Pakistan out of the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies, said from a team point of view, defeating Pakistan was more of an achievement than defeating England, reports Pak Passion.
He said that in 2007, the team had a postman, a fireman and some students. They were a bunch of regular people playing in a World Cup, and beating one of the best teams in the world and knocking them out of the World Cup was a great achievement, Kevin said.
An aggressive lower middler-order batsman, Kevin is the holder of the world record for the fastest century ever scored at a World Cup, from 50 balls in Ireland's famous victory over England in the 2011 World Cup. (ANI)
- Facebook booked over group exhorting cow slaughter
- Facebook releases Social Dialog for iOS SDK
- Former Nokia employees unveil first MeeGo smartphone
- Ireland says not to blame for Apples low tax rate
- New Android app checks 4G coverage
- Editorial First Amendment rumble
- Op-Ed Contributor American Global Primacy and Presidential Vision
- Letter Turkey and Syria A Slippery Slope
- A quick count for L.A.
- Prayers in public offices
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Too much time indoors may damage kids eyes
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Carriers Maintain Asia-Med Capacity Despite Euro Crisis
- Sen. Jeff Sessions tries to sink the immigration bill by himself
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism
- Killing of gay man in NYC draws protesters
- African Development Bank to host Innovative Financing Seminar on Infrastructure and Diaspora bonds
- J.P. Morgans Dimon to keep dual roles report
- Sprint increases offer for Clearwire stake
- Treasurys trade flat ahead of Fed speakers
- Coming up New York Fed Dudleys speech
- Google kills floundering Google Checkout asks people to use Google Wallet instead
- China tapped Google server secrets
- SHANE’S BIG LIST Tuesday’s Domains at Auction or Dropping on the 21st
- Google Hangouts Upgrade Does Not Support Voice Calls
- Despite Schmidts timeline Google may ship Glass in 2013
- Jeremy Clarkson pokes fun at Angelina Jolies double mastectomy
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids linked to reduced future mental health
- Compound in Mediterranean diet makes cancer cells mortal
- Victorias Secret rejects plea for breast cancer survivor bras
- Cancer radiation therapy if given in evening may minimize hair loss
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Dublin News headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- Elderly cyclist killed in collision with car
- Busy weekend for Enda Kenny in United States
- Kevin OBrien says no specific plans against Pak spinner Saeed Ajmal
- Author Dan Brown hints at novel set in Ireland