BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
NEW YORK - Pharma major Pfizer has discontinued the development of cancer candidate inotuzumab ozogamicin, which is part of a class of therapies called antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), in the haematological cancer non-Hodgkin lymphoma after it failed to show benefit in overall survival during phase III trials. Pfizer has notified the study investigators and appropriate regulatory authorities ...
WASHINGTON - GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
10°C Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the NW at 14 MPH
Daniel Craig has been in a lot of supporting roles in both British and American films during the past 15 years, so his face elicits an immediate sense of recognition, even though you probably cant quite place it. As it turns out, that sense of vague familiarity fits his leading role perfectly in the crime caper Layer Cake, where he plays a sternly efficient, no-nonsense London drug dealer w ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
Microsoft has unveiled its latest video gaming console 'Xbox One' which is believed to transform games, TV and entertainment for the 21st century living room. The latest console reportedly promises a vision of the future. According to a report by the Mirror, 'Xbox One' will allow users to turn on the device with words like "Xbox On", and "snap" will allow users to watch two things at ...
A total of 245 South Koreans were confirmed to have established paper companies in safe havens in a bid to avoid tax payment, an independent South Korean media said Wednesday. The Newstapa announced that it found 245 South Koreans set up paper companies in safe havens between 1995 and 2009 after analyzing information related to paper companies jointly with the International Consortium of ...
Microsoft unveiled a new Xbox console Tuesday that represents a major upgrade on the US-market-leading Xbox 360 model. The president of the IT giant's Interactive Entertainment Business, Don Mattrick, revealed the hi-tech Xbox One entertainment and gaming console during an event at Microsoft's Redmond, Washington, campus. The Xbox One was presented as an all-in-one system for gaming, watching ...
They Said It
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas
Coming off Highway 45, about an hour's drive and 50 miles south of Houston, and as we approached Galveston my ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Dublin NewsDublin News | Breaking News from Dublin and Ireland
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Dublin news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Dublin Sun is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Dublin.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Dublin weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Dublin Sun is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Irish all-rounder Kevin O'Brien, whose team will face Pakistan in the upcoming two ODI series at home, has said that Saeed Ajmal is a "tricky customer" as well as "one of the best spinners in the world", but admits his team has no specific plans on how to tackle Ajmal in the upcoming matches.
The 29 year-old, who was also part of the side that knocked Pakistan out of the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies, said from a team point of view, defeating Pakistan was more of an achievement than defeating England, reports Pak Passion.
He said that in 2007, the team had a postman, a fireman and some students. They were a bunch of regular people playing in a World Cup, and beating one of the best teams in the world and knocking them out of the World Cup was a great achievement, Kevin said.
An aggressive lower middler-order batsman, Kevin is the holder of the world record for the fastest century ever scored at a World Cup, from 50 balls in Ireland's famous victory over England in the 2011 World Cup.
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Will IT cos be forced to hire more Americans
- More teens migrating to Twitter Poll
- Apple tax row CEO Tim Cook refuses to say sorry
- Microsoft unveils next-gen Xbox gaming console
- Will London Respond to Somalias Needs
- Miles to go for Thein Sein
- And the winner is - Khamenei
- China nears pointof no return with Kim
- New spark in the South China Sea
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Paulina Rubio to be judge on `X Factor
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Shale Gas Could Be UKs New North Sea
- FTSE edges down in early trading as investors await clues from US
- Turkey tries wealth amnesty to lure back offshore cash with 2pc tax rate
- Europe stocks slip ahead of Bernanke comments
- Asian equities are supported by the soft Fed comments yesterday
- Indonesia to sell global bonds in second half
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar dips shares mixed ahead of Bernanke testimony
- MTN Mobile Money puts banking in your pocket
- Inside the secret Symantec building that keeps websites safe
- Kenya Orange Kenya Wants Google to Share Content Revenue
- Miliband takes on Google over tax
- Google+ rolls out a redesign for mobile Web similar to desktop
- Startup hires cyborg Mann for Google Glass–killer project
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- Azad meets US Health Secretary Sebelius
- Michael Douglas fights back tears at Cannes
- Radioactive nanoparticles that target cancer cells developed
- Indo-China bilateral meet on healthcare sector held at Geneva
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Dublin News headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Ireland has no strategy to tackle Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- Humanist Funerals Thrive In Post-Catholic Ireland
- Britvic to create combined UK and Irish unit
- Carroll pulls out of Ireland clash